Monday, September 13, 2010

First day of the new job...


I got up early, showered, had Cheerios and Silk Chocolate soy milk for breakfast, then did the washroom thing, got dressed and left for work around 7:30am.  The workday starts at 9am, but I wasn't sure just how long it would take to get there...

The Atlantic-Pacific subway station, where I had to change trains, was hot, very hot, like an oven in the tropics, so by the time I got out at my stop I was sweating like mad.  And I still had a six or seven block walk, mostly downhill, to get to the office. 

When I got to the office, around 8:05am, the grill was still down and blinds covered the windows so there was no way to see inside, and obviously, no one was there.  There's no company name or anything there.  Since Yishai had given me two addresses, one that the company will be moving to later, I figured I'd go up and check that out, in case they'd actually moved already.  That was six or seven blocks up the hill, pretty close to where I got off the train, but it was just a construction site and looked unfinished.  So back down the hill again.  

At the office I was sweating so much my clothes were soaking through...  The grill was up, so I pressed the doorbell and some guy came to do the door.  I asked "is this Kashrus.com?" and he asked, pretty gruffly, "who are you?"  I told him who I was and that I was starting with the company this morning and he became quite friendly.  He let me in, gave me a quick tour (it's not a big office, there's the admin and sales section, and the techie section, maybe a total of a 12-15 desks) and we chatted a few minutes.  He gave me his phone number to give him a call if I needed anything here in New York City.  But then he had to get his day's work started...

People started coming in slowly and soon Yishai, the guy I interviewed with, showed up.  He found the computer he'd left another developer to start setting up for me last week and gave me a choice of desks, either under the air conditioner or by the window (although the cubicle walls block much view except the trees and sky high up) and I picked the window, since by that time I was getting fairly chilly in my wet clothes...  

We spent a little time getting my computer set up, but then he had a lot of things to take care of.  He showed me where to find some information on our software and said I should shop online for my new work computer and sort of let me to it...  It was pretty overwhelming to be told to just shop for my new computer with no details of specs or a maximum budget or anything.  Always before I've just been given whatever computer the company had to give me, with almost no choice what-so-ever.

Around 3:30pm we had a meeting in which he went over in some detail how the software is used, who the people are who use it and what they do with it, so that helped a lot.

I left the office around 5:30pm and it was a fairly easy set of train rides home.  I just missed one train at each station where I had to catch one, so I had to wait a little longer.  Getting out of the 53rd Street station I saw a bright flash, and there was a pleasant thunderstorm for a while around the neighborhood.

And now it's almost bedtime...

No comments:

Post a Comment