Tuesday, April 12, 2011

House Cleaning is Hell

I'm not known for my love of doing house cleaning...  In fact, probably just the opposite...  The apartment I lived in Beaverton, Oregon in the 90's I don't think I ever thoroughly cleaned in the seven years I lived in it.  The only thing I like to clean are the dishes...

It's not that I don't appreciate a clean house.  I mean, I like how Leena keeps the apartment all nice and clean and puts such a tremendous effort into either doing it herself or managing the servant through it, or a combination of both.  Especially in Pune where the amount of dust blowing in is simply incredible and most of the tools are sub-par.  And I've always enjoyed visiting my Aunt Lenore in Florida where I can walk around her apartment in bare feet without them getting filthy (my parents' house misses this qualification not because of dirt, but because the Oregon coast weather means always wearing socks in the house...)

But rather, it's just that I don't find the act of cleaning to be worth the time, effort and energy.  I work my butt off at the office, and while I earn a decent living, I pay a heavy price in terms of time, so when I have free time, there's so many other, far more rewarding ways to spend the time: reading, writing, web surfing, programming, playing computer games, exploring the city, baking, eating, watching a movie, sleeping, laying back and staring at the ceiling...

And it's worse because I'm not very good at it.  Or is that an understatement?  I suck at house cleaning.  Sure, I possess the knowledge of how to do it, but it seems like after I sweep a floor there's still dirt everywhere, if I wash a bathroom there's still dirty water streaked all over the place.  So on top of the miserable work, there's the end result that just makes me feel angry, frustrated, like I'm totally incompetent and I wasted my time.

To top it off, whenever I sweep I usually end up getting a sore throat and a cold that lasts for a week or two of sneezing, sniffling and coughing afterwards, while using cleaning chemicals gives me headaches and makes me nauseas...   And the noise of the vacuum cleaner causes pain to shoot through my ears...

I'll go out of my way to avoid making messes, but over time it does accumulate...  And I just don't find it worth it to deal with it...

Anyway...

I for one welcome our new robotic vacuum cleaner overlords...


I've had this now for a bit less than a week...  It's less noisy than most vacuums, which is good, and best of all I can just start it and step out...

Perfect?  No...  As one friend pointed out, he bought one six years ago and hopes they've improved its algorithms since then.  But even if they haven't it still probably cleans better than I will over the course of six years...  

No comments:

Post a Comment