Friday, October 7, 2011

Yom Kippur - Not For Me

This evening begins the Jewish holiday, Yom Kippur.  It's the most solemn, and holiest day of the year for Jews, involving fasting, with the goal of atonement and repentance for the past year's sins.

However, I don't think I'm going to participate.

It's something I've thought about, and based on the fact that I simply don't believe in G-d, it doesn't make sense.

Some holidays are about people, like Passover is about when the Jews were slaves and left Egypt, Chanukah is about the temple and people.  Those I can honor and feel good about it.

But Yom Kippur is between an individual and G-d.  So, in my case, with my beliefs (or lack thereof), half the equation would simply be missing, making it an empty participation.

Last year I fasted for part of Yom Kippur and in the end decided it was pointless and not fulfilling in any way, so I quit in the afternoon and enjoyed a nice meal.  This year I don't think I'll bother at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment