Sunday, October 11, 2009

Book Shopping on Sunday

I went book shopping on Sunday to Landmark in SGS Mall for my couple-of-times-a-year shopping and picked up a load of books. Mostly fiction with a few software development books tossed in for fun.

  • "Song of Kali" by Dan Simmons - I've actually read this before and some of it is incredibly chilling. The best was when one character was describing his initiation into a secret Kali-worshipping cult and says that unlike most idols of Kali, the one in the temple had no severed head dangling from her fingers, and the new novices all knew there would be one by the end of the night.
  • "Queen of the Damned" by Anne Rice - One of my two favorite vampire tales.
  • "Diary" by Chuck Palahniuk
  • "Absurdistan" by Gary Shteyngart
  • "2 States" by Chetan Bhagat - Bhagat is incredibly popular in India and it looked like half the people at the checkout were buying this, his brand new one. All of his books, so far, have a number in the title.
  • "Conan Chronicles I" by Robert Jordan - I've read these all before, and Jordan is amongst the best of the pastiche writers. His Conan stories are certainly not Howard's, but hey, they're not bad.
  • "Conan Chronicles 2" by Robert Jordan - I've read these all before, and Jordan is amongst the best of the pastiche writers. His Conan stories are certainly not Howard's, but hey, they're not bad.
  • "King Rat" by China Mieville
  • "Priestess of the White" by Trudi Canavan
  • "Last of the Wilds" by Trudi Canavan
  • "Voice of the Gods" by Trudi Canvan
  • "Bone in the Throat" by Anthony Bourdain
  • "Gone Bamboo" by Anthony Bourdain
  • "Bangkok Tattoo" by John Burdett
  • "Divine Justice" by David Baldacci
  • "Tall, Dark & Handsome" by Nisha Minhas
  • "The Marriage Market" by Nisha Minhas
  • "Witches' Brew" by Terry Brooks
  • "The Tangle Box" by Terry Brooks
  • "Up In Honey's Room" by Elmore Leonard
  • "A Winter Haunting" by Dan Simmons
  • "Hamlet" by Shakespeare - I used to hate Shakespeare dramas after a few bad experienced in high school, but I've read enough other stories since then that reference Hamlet in one way or another that I figure it's time to read it.
  • "Real World Haskell" by O'Sullivan, Goerzen & Stewart - I don't know what Functional Programming actually is, but with a name like Haskell, I want to learn the language. That way if anyone ever asks me "do you know Haskell?" I can laugh and say "are you kidding? it's my middle name!"
  • "Learning Rails" by St. Laurent & Dumbill
  • "Head First Rails" by Griffiths - The Head First series is fantastic, lots of humor and good tutorials, and I want to learn more about Rails...

The worst problem there, besides the incredible crowds, was that I wore a pair of Birkenstock sandals that I haven't work outside much, so the soles aren't scuffed up rough, making it hard to walk on the smooth polished stone floor of the store. It was a bit like walking on ice and I had to take small, careful steps to avoid slipping and sliding.

No comments:

Post a Comment